Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Peter Rabbit Deluxe Diaper Cake

My friend, Katie, is in an organization called TWIGs (Terrific Women in Giving) here in Dayton. Every year they hold a luncheon to raise money for Dayton Children's Medical Center.
When I started making diaper cakes, Katie asked if I would donate one to the luncheon for their silent auction. Of course I said yes, not only because it's a great charity, but also for the free publicity. I brainstormed on the idea for a neutral themed cake for weeks, and finally decided on ducks. I wasn't loving the idea, but I thought it would be an easy, neutral theme that people would like.
I started hunting for items to decorate the "cake" with, and couldn't find anything I really loved. I didn't want to put something out there that I did feel great about, so I started freaking out. To add to my freakoutingness Katie told me she also had donations coming in from a local spa and Tiffany & Co. In a state of panic during a Tuesday afternoon "hunting trip", I called Katie and told her I was totally stressed because I didn't want to be the "White Trash" of the auction table!!!! She told me I wouldn't be White Trash, and offered a suggestion. She said that the people coming to the luncheon will be more interested in asthetics rather than functionality; find an artsy Anne Geddes book or something and build the theme around that. GOOD TIP!!
I hauled my kids to Barnes and Noble in search of inspiration. After searching the Bargin Bin and coming up with squat we went back to the children's area. I was looking through their stuffed characters, and came across a little Peter Rabbit. Eureka!!! I already had a Peter Rabbit board book in my stash of diaper cake stuff. I was totally in love with the idea. I finished this monster, 4 tier diaper cake last night.
The finished product contains:
· 112 Luvs size 2 diapers
· 1 Peter Rabbit plush toy
· 1 Gerber Nuk pacifier
· 3 Gerber soft tip feeding spoons
· 1 1.5 oz bottle Johnson's Baby Shampoo
· 1 1 oz bottle Johnson's Baby Lotion
· 1 1 oz bottle Johnson's Head to Toe Wash
· 1 sample Johnson's Soothing Naturals Lotion
· 1 sample Desitin Ointment
· 1 white Gerber infant comb and brush set
· 1 Peter Rabbit board book
· 15 baby washcloths
9 handcrafted bunnies
2 hancrafted carrots (each carrot is made from 3 washcloths)
· 1 mini picture frame



I love love love it, and I'll be sad to see it go, but I know that some pregnant lady out there is going to love it too!

No comments: